Work in assigned project groups.
The objective of this project is to simulate and measure s-parameters.
NOTE: Use the Project Report Template
IN NO CASE may code or files be exchanged between students, and
each student must answer the questions themselves and do their own
plots, NO COPYING of any sort! Nevertheless, students are
encouraged to collaborate in the lab session.
Part 1: Simulation
- S-parameter simulations
- Download the 7zap
archive as follows:
- Download the 7zap archive RFcourse2015_proj2_wrk.7zap
to your ads directory
- Use MenuBar::File::Unarchive to extract the project into
your ADS directory as follows
- You should find a new directory RFcourse2015_proj2_wrk
created in apps/ads
- Run ADS and open the new RFcourse2015_proj2_wrk workbook
by double-clicking it
- We will be making S-parameter measurements that correspond to a situation similar to our project 2 simulation.
- Open the p2sparamLine schematic in the workbook by clicking
that schematic design file.
- Run the simulation, and you should S-parameters and Smith
chart somewhat different from that illustrated below:
- Right-click and select "copy cell" to make a copy of this design
- Edit the new copy so that it reflects the scenario in the
- Change the transmission line to a TLIND component as shown above (blue arrow above),
- then ComponentPallette::TlinesIdeal::TLIND (blue circle above)
- set TLIND 50 ohms impedance and delay=8 ns (blue arrow above),
- set source Term1 to 50 ohms,
- and load Term2 to 50 ohms,
and add a 50-ohm resistor in parallel to term2 to ground (magenta circle above).
the S-parameter sweep to go from 1 to 50 MHz in 1 MHz steps.
(yellow arrow above)
- Save a snapshot of your new schematic and paste it into your
- Run the simulation, and plot the Smith chart of S11 (somewhat
different from that illustrated below):
- Set two markers as above (one at 1 MHz and the other at
where it crosses the axis on the right side (magenta arrow above)
- What is the frequency where it crosses the axis on the right side?
- What are the two un-normalized impedances (assume closest
pure resistance) at the markers, and what is the transformer
ratio (ratio of the 2 impedances)?
WARNING !! ====================================
- **** WARNING **** YOU MUST USE
THE PROJECT REPORT TEMPLATE Below:
- See the Project
Report Template at bottom of this page
- A well-written report/paper is
- STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you read IEEE
authorship series: How to Write for Technical Periodicals
- Clearly describe everything, including:
- variables in block diagrams
- variables in formulas
- units of variables kHz, pF, nH, m, s,
- all traces on plots
- all curves on plots
- all results in any tables
- Minimum required data content for
your report and demos
- Required theory/formulas numbered as below:
- (1) Reflection coefficient formula at port 1 at 1 MHz for 50-ohm source, 50-ohm line, and 25 ohm load
- (2) S11 formula at 1 MHz for 50-ohm source, 50-ohm line, and 25 ohm load
- (3) Theoretical S21 at 1 MHz for 50-ohm source, 50-ohm line, and
25 ohm load. Hint: you must compute the power delivered to term2
delivered from the source (power into the 50-ohm resistor in parallel is not plotted as part of S21, only the power delivered to term 2 is plotted). half of the power is delivered to each resistor since they have the same voltage and same resistance.
- Required figures:
- Any illegible plots receive zero credit (must be able to read all numbers, axes, labels, curves, grids, titles, legends)
- All plots must of professional quality as in IEEE papers
Required tabular data content:
- LEGIBLE ADS schematic of the system (as in Fig. 004), with appropriate caption.
- LEGIBLE Smith-chart plot of simulated S11
- LEGIBLE dB plot of simulated S21 and S11 on a dB scale from 0 to -10 dB
- Table of s-parameters at 1 MHz (assume approximately dc) with 3 columns: parameter, theoretical value, simulated value
Table with 2 columns, parameter, theoretical value, and simulated value
- Row 1: theoretical and simulated S11
- Row 2: theoretical and simulated S21
- Row 3: theoretical and simulated S12
- Row 4: theoretical and simulated S22
- Row 1: frequency at which S11 crosses right side of Smith chart as in Fig. 005 above
- Row 2: un-normalized impedance (ohms) at the frequency at which S11 crosses right side of Smith chart as in Fig. 005 above
- See report template below
NOTE ReportTemplate: Use the Project Report Template
YOU MUST ADD CAPTIONS AND FIGURE
NUMBERS TO ALL FIGURES!!
Copyright © 2010-2019 T. Weldon
ANSYS, and HFSS are registered trademarks of ANSYS, Inc.
Cadence, Spectre and Virtuoso are registered trademarks of
Cadence Design Systems, Inc., 2655 Seely Avenue, San Jose, CA
95134. Keysight is a registered trademarks of Keysight
Technologies, Inc. MATLAB and Simulink are registered
trademarks of The MathWorks, Inc. MATHCAD is a trademark of PTC INC.